Wednesday, July 4, 2012

the first few days

The first 6 days in Cambodia have been full of FOOD.. laughing.. and adventure. Caitlyn and I are constantly looking at each other and saying "we are here. we are REALLY here!" We have been dreaming about this place since the day we left, and finally all that dreaming and praying is reality.
It's so fun to explore the country with a friend like Caitlyn, who will try anything and talk me into doing the same. I am grateful for her heart for children at-risk, Cambodia & Vietnam, the poor, Jesus and me! God knew just what He was doing when we sat together in the same small group 9 years ago.

The past two days, we traveled to the city of Kampong Cham for our first meeting. It's about a 4 hour bus ride from Phnom Penh, so I had some time to put in my ipod and be still. I looked out the window and watched as we drove by village after village.. eventually I pulled out my bible and decided to pray. My heart just cries out for this country. For God to break chains of injustice, to capture hearts and redeem lives. I prayed over the fields, the stilt houses, and the dirt roads as we passed by. Selfishly I want to be a part of the story God is writing here- but more than that I just want the Lord to do mighty things in the lives of these people.

"He will rescue the poor when they cry to Him;
He will help the oppressed, who have no one to defend them.
He feels pity for the weak and the needy,
and he will rescue them.
...for their lives are precious to Him" 
Psalm 72:12-14

on the drive to Kampong Cham


When we got to Kampong Cham, we met with a sweet missionary couple that are serving the Vietnamese there. They were incredibly encouraging to Caitlyn & I. They invited us into their home, took us around the city, showed us their ministry, and made us feel like we were close friends. We were able to share about our work with Homes of Love and what we hope to do in Cambodia one day. The couple challenged us, gave us advice, and encouraged us greatly. Caitlyn and I both walked away from our time with them feeling as if the Lord is providing for us in ways we had never imagined. Isn't God just like that? What a good good God He truly is.

Now onto the less serious stuff..
If you know me well, you know that I spend most of my Saturday mornings at the Y doing Zumba. Great news.. I found some Cambodian zumba, or maybe more like jazzercise, in the middle of the sidewalk so of course I decided to join in!


Here are a few more pictures from our time in Kampong Cham..

I am obsessed with his sweet smile :)

me and a cow in Kampong Cham






One thing I've always wanted to find in Cambodia is a cooked tarantula.. and HOORAY yesterday was that day.  I couldn't bring myself to eat the body, but I did manage to get down a leg. It sort of tasted like BBQ... just a little more hairy :)






No comments:

Post a Comment